Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Review: Chocolate Frosted Murder by Susan Gillard


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Guardian Publishing Group

Release Date:
April 16, 2016







Synopsis from Goodreads:

After accepting Maricela’s and Angelica’s invitation to join them and their family for their Tia Teresa’s 75th birthday party, Heather is enjoying herself. But the party is interrupted by two uniformed policemen who bring bad news: Tia Teresa’s grandson, Gustavo, a beloved family member, has been shot and killed in the park.

The police think it looks like a drug deal gone bad, but Gustavo’s family insists he never would have been involved with drugs. Maricela and Angelica beg Heather to investigate, and she promises to do what she can.

When she discovers that the shooter’s story couldn’t have taken place the way he said it did, she becomes suspicious. But she has no proof. Then, just as a key witness is about to provide her with the evidence she needs, the witness is murdered in an apparent armed robbery.

Will Heather and Ryan be able to uncover the evidence they need in order to establish the truth and clear Gustavo’s name? Or will a killer get away with not only one, but possibly two murders?

My Review

It’s another visit for me to Heather Janke’s Texas gourmet donut shop, Donut Delights. I’m enjoying this cozy mystery series more and more with each book They are just the perfect reading material when you are busy and don’t have time to get involved in a longer book.

Susan Gillard gives us well-developed characters who practically jump right out of the pages. Heather is more than your typical amateur sleuth – she has legitimate reasons for her snooping. She truly cares about people.

The story itself isn’t very complex and is easily solved, but it’s a fun puzzle for the readers to put together. It’s fast-paced and takes you away for a few hours.

To add to the mystery aspect, we get a little romance too. It’s a slow-moving romance between Heather and Ryan, but it fits the storyline and it works well.

This is the fifth book in the series. They can each be read on their own as the mystery is self-contained in each book and wraps up by the end of it, but I think it’s more fun to start at the beginning so you can see the characters grow as time goes on.

I’m looking forward to the next one.



I bought this as a freebie for my Kindle. All opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. This series looks so fun! I've really enjoyed your reviews of them though the covers and titles always make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, I'm glad you've been enjoying this series. It sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun series, I need to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one for my cozy challenge. Sounds like a fun series. Glad you are enjoying them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.